Monday 6 June 2016

Day 30 - Consolidate

Tonight's labor
Today I completed the Michael's Addition problem set, which I posted the night before.

Things you'll learn from this problem set: 
1. The mechanism for an enolate addition to an enone, a soft electrophile (conjugate addition).
2. When H3O+ and heat are mentioned - it always means decarboxylation is in play.
3. The mechanism for decarboxylation.
4. Hydrolysis of esters and nitriles in H3O+.

If you've been keeping up with the posts, you'll notice that I've started doing the problem sets for Chapter 25 relatively early after finishing the chapter. Usually it's a week before I get around to doing problem sets.

This is a good transition to Technique #5:

After reading a chapter, wait one or two days and complete just a single problem set. Theory and practice are two different things. You can read and memorize a chemistry textbook all you want, but if you've never practiced a mechanism before the midterm, then you're SOL. This applies to any application-based course where you're not tested on memorization.

I've made this mistake with Statistics. I memorized the theory but spent ZERO time practicing statistics questions. I got 35% on the midterm. Don't make my mistakes, go and practice. Use the problem sets I've posted here - click the link "Practice Problem Sets" above for access to all of them.

Today's Tune: Cheap Thrills by Sia
Goodnight! 

No comments:

Post a Comment