Friday 27 May 2016

Day 20 - 99 Problems

Man, what a day. Today's scorching heat was sucking all the H2O out of my body.

This evening, I went ahead and did some problem sets that I jacked from University of Alberta's Chemistry website, haha. I'm doing these to avoid losing the "mental gear" for chemistry, as I have a lot of school work outside of Organic Chemistry this summer.

So, there were three problem sets I completed:
1. #99 Hydride Reductions - Answers
2. #104 Applications Answers
3. Optional: #103 C=N Formation Answers

I recommend doing "Hydride Reductions" and the 2nd half of "Applications". You can definitely try "C=N Formation", but I think their questions were the hardest and their proposed mechanisms were a little dodgy.. use your own discretion.

What I learned from these problem sets:
  • LiAlH4 hydrides can attack an ester or acid (COOH), while the hydrides from NaBH4 cannot. 
  • Aldehydes and ketones are more reactive than esters or acids (I assume it's because esters and acids have slight electron delocalization between the oxygen atoms, which creates a negative atmosphere that a nucleophile wouldn't want to come near - and this would explain why hydrides from NaBH4 prefer not to attack esters/acids).
  • Refreshed my memory on the formation mechanisms of Enamines (NHR1R2 nucleophile), Amines (NH2R nucleophile), Enols (ketones/aldehydes in acidic environment), and Enolates (ketones/aldehydes in basic environment). 
  • I learned that I have an issue remembering to protonate the electrophile in acidic environments before the nucleophile attacks.. gotta work on that. 

That's all for today, enjoy your weekend!

Today's Tune: Team - Iggy Azalea
(It's a cringe-worthy song, I know - but it's good for doing chemistry to... for some reason)

No comments:

Post a Comment